Sunday, April 12, 2015

Youkoso Daikaya!

Painted in large characters on a ceiling panel near the back wall, the title of this piece is borrowed from just one of many aesthetics that adorn the small interior space of Daikaya.  The phrase is a warm welcome to all guests who come in to slurp up some heartwarming Sapporo style ramen.  Pictured below is their mugi-miso bowl with an extra sheet of (wakame) seaweed and three chunks of special-of-the-day pork belly.


Daikaya is, at the moment, my favorite ramen joint in the metropolitan DC area for three reasons (in no particular order).
  1. Distance - they are the closest to my home in Northern Virginia.
  2. Broth - each of their five broths, including a vegetarian variety, offer deep flavors and full bodies.  While all their broths are put together in Sapporo style, each broth is distinct in inspiration and flavor, almost as if they were five brothers and sisters from the same family.  For me, that means five trips to Daikaya is the bare minimum.
  3. Noodles - their noodles have the best consistency that I have tasted in this area.  They are just springy enough without being hard, and they easily pick up the flavor of the broth as you slurp.
In the last two weeks, I have managed to visit Daikaya twice, which is a much higher visit count than normal for me.  Since I have known about Daikaya for almost two years now (probably) and have not yet written about it on my blog, what better time than now?  The second bowl shown below is their spicy miso bowl with a soft-boiled egg, an extra sheet of wakame (seaweed), and extra char siu (slices of Japanese-style roast pork) buried in the broth.

On one of these trips, I also got to sit at the bar and watch the chefs ply their trade.


No comments:

Post a Comment