Monday, March 30, 2015

Kogiya: Limited Options but a Lot of Heart

Best word(s) to describe barbecue at Kogiya: fatty, fatty, fatty.  How fatty?  See photo:


Kogiya is touted as one of Northern Virginia's finest in Korean BBQ, and who am I to disagree?  Kogiya gives you two great all-you-can-eat selections!  Plus, 1) I have no idea how a Korean foodie would think Korean BBQ should be and 2) I have only had it twice in this area and no more times in my life than I can count on both hands.  In contrast, I submit my experience with Chinese food.

So with this caveat, I judge Kogiya to be "extremely" two things: tasty and limited in options.  Kogiya does a great job with taste because they prepare their marinated meats with phenomenal flavor.  Of course, it helps when the only cuts of meat you serve on the grill are the fattiest cuts, but that is not a demerit on taste.  That is, however, illuminating with regard to the breadth of Kogiya's options, or lack thereof.  With option A, you get unlimited quantities of five types of meat, of which only chicken is "lean."  The other four option A selections are fatty beef brisket, three-layer pork belly, miso pork belly, and spicy pork belly.  With option B, you get to tack on small intestine, large intestine, and tripe.  So in two words: deliciously fatty.


From a business standpoint, I thought this makes a lot of sense because these all-you-can-eat options easily stand at the intersection between customer satisfaction and satiating even the most voracious appetites with a "less is more" approach.  Of course the fattiest cuts are going to be the tastiest morsels sizzling on a grill, so why not load up on just those cuts to the pure delight of every dinner guest?  And let's be honest, folks eating out at KBBQ are giving themselves a freebie on any sort of diet.  With respect to the "less is more" approach, what better meat is there to fill up bellies quickly than the fattiest, richest cuts?  Lean meat just would not do the same job as three-layer pork belly.

What did I order?  Option A, because while I love tripe, I am not a huge fan of intestine, small or large.  The meal was more than satisfying, and I recommend it to anybody looking for a change of pace in Northern Virginia outside of Honey Pig.  Which would I pick by default if given an option: Honey Pig, because of vastly more choices.

No comments:

Post a Comment