Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Best Ramen on This Side of the Pond

With thanks to Dan Gentile, author for The Thrillist, here is a shortened list of the twenty one two best ramen shops in the United States.  Take home idea: California and New York are killing it, surprise surprise.

Slurping Turtle, Chicago, IL Daikokuya, Los Angeles, CA Tiger Den, Houston, TX
Ramen Tatsu-Ya, Austin, TX Tsujita Annex, Los Angeles, CA Chuko, Brooklyn, NY
Biwa, Portland, OR Uncle, Denver, CO Cheu Noodle Bar, Philadelphia, PA
Bassanova Ramen, New York, NY Orenchi Ramen, Santa Clara, CA Dante, Cleveland, OH
Ramen Shop, Oakland, CA Toki Underground, Washington, DC Tsukushinbo, Seattle, WA
Momi Ramen, Miami, FL Ivan Ramen, New York, NY Moto-i, Minneapolis, MN
Totto, New York, NY Ramen Halu, San Jose, CA Noodle & Pie, New Orleans, LA
Kome, Austin, TX

It does make me wonder that more shops from DC did not make it.  Has Dan actually eaten at all these locations? Did Daikaya and Sakuramen not make the cut? Given, no shop in the US has had a slice of chashu as good as those I got at that one little shop in the Japanese mountains (Takayama, Japan). The chashu melted in my mouth...damn my mouth is watering thinking about it right now.


Also, hometown shout out for Cleveland, OH! I guess I will have to check out Dante next time I am back in town.

No comments:

Post a Comment