Thursday, July 31, 2014

Yesterday was National Cheesecake Day

Did you know that yesterday, July 30th, was National Cheesecake Day?  I did not.  Or maybe I forgot because there are so many themed observances (both important and trivial) in the United States.  Still, staying true to the theme, I whipped up one of my favorite baked goods: Green Tea Cheesecake.  I used a generous amount of matcha (抹茶) for the green tea flavoring, a graham cracker crust, and Neufchâtel for the cheese.  Cream cheese works great, but this time I felt like blending in a touch of "old world" French aristocracy.  Not to be confused with "old school," in which case I would have to follow how the Greeks made cheesecake.  If anyone cares to argue that cheesecake was not eaten by the Ancien Régime nobility: forget it. You would be arguing against my M.S. in European food history.



Now, I will be the first to admit that my bias toward food often consciously and unconsciously slants in favor of Asian flavors, and that slant is more of a steep mountain slope in some cases.  Clearly this cheesecake is no exception.  Something about matcha, described as it is to be "bitter" by some, pairs well with light, creamy, and sweet desserts.  I can only imagine (and it would make sense) that the first person who discovered this pairing is likely swimming in a sea of green of a different sort.

Of course, not everybody has the palate for the combination of "a hot beverage" and cheesecake.  When I discussed this dessert with my office-mate, a self-proclaimed man of desserts, he instinctively and lightheartedly blurted out "That sounds absolutely disgusting."  Then he tempered his remark by saying he would be willing to taste a sliver for the experience.  My response:


What I find intellectually fascinating about cheesecake is that it has survived and evolved for so many thousands of years when 70% of the world today is estimated to be lactose intolerant.  That figure jumps up to 90% in some Asian and African populations.  So I cannot thank my parents enough for passing on the gene that allows me to enjoy cheesecake without a requisite "bathroom blowout."  Either way, when I present a few slices to the office today, it should be interesting to observe the varying degrees of responses ranging from disgusted to enthusiastic.

----- Update 2:07 PM -----


Challenge completed.  After tasting a small bite, my office-mate remarked "Well played" and proceeded to devour the rest of the slice.  Rock on, Success Kid.  Rock on.


No comments:

Post a Comment