Monday, July 14, 2014

King Oyster Mushrooms

If ever there were a mushroom bigger and badder than the rest, it would be the King Oyster Mushroom.  I mean, the name pretty much says it all.  This freaking beast originally hails from the Mediterranean (Southern Europe, North Africa, and the Middle East), although its kingly splendor was never meant to be caged to a specific region.  Getting incorporated into local cuisine as it spread, the King Oyster [Mushroom] eventually reached East Asia and beyond.

A single King Oyster Mushroom

Also, it is probably the most phallic of all edible fungi.  But don't let that unfortunate slip in my stream of consciousness deter you from partaking in its deliciousness.  Just recently, these were on sale at the local Chinese supermarket, and so I grabbed a few and added them to some dumplings.  Since mushrooms are one of my many favorite foods to begin with, the King oysters added an extra flavor dimension that was simply heavenly.  And while I could never restrict myself to any food group(s), I salute this vegan on his apt nickname for a particular preparation of the King Oyster: Vegan Bacon.

No comments:

Post a Comment